Creativity - Made In God's Image
August 2020 • Week 5
Today's Bible story: Where You Lead (Salt and Light) • Matthew 5:13-16
Monthly memory verse: "Lord, you are great. You are really worthy of praise. No one can completely understand how great you are." Psalm 145:3
Memory Verse for 2's - Pre-K : "Lord, you are great Psalm 145:3a NiRV
Life Application: Creativity-Imagining what you could do because you're made in God's image
Praise & Pray: Sing along with the provided worship videos and pray. Access songs here
What you might pray: "Dear Jesus, thank you for giving us creative minds. Help me to see how my creativity can help others. In Jesus name I pray, Amen."
Family Devotional & Discussion
What you do: Watch the complementary video together as a family and discuss today's question.
What you discuss: "Who first told you about God's story?"
Pray and bless your family
What you need: A flashlight, flameless candle or if you do the craft on the following page, use the votive in the jar
What you do: Gather your family members in a circle
- Ask and do the following, then close in prayer:
- Remind us who first told you about God's story? When was the first time you remember hearing about Jesus?
- Can you give an example of when you might talk about Jesus with your family? What about your friends?
- Pass the votive or a flashlight around the circle.
- When the flashlight or candle gets to them, ask each family member to thank God for someone in their life who shared God's story with them, then pass the flashlight or candle to the next person in the circle.
- Encourage everyone to be specific, e.g. "Thank you for Grandma Hattie.
- Thank You for ___________ at our church.
- Thank You for _____________ in this family.
What you might pray: "God, You are great! There is no limit to Your creativity! You made us in Your image to reflect You and Your creativity to the people around us. Just like the four friends in our story today, we can do so much more together than we could do by ourselves. God, You created us to work with others. Our church is a great example of what we can do when we work with others. Please bless each member or our family as we serve you and each other. Thank You, God, for all the people who worked together to help us learn about You! In Your name, Amen."
What You Need: Tea light, glass jar, battery operated tea light, tissue paper squares, clear drying Elmer's glue, scissors
Alternative: Use a clear, non-breakable plastic cup instead of a jar
What You Do: Cut your tissue paper into whatever shapes you would like. Be creative!
- Glue your tissue paper into the inside of the tea light jar. Remember, 'Dot, Dot not a lot!'
- Place your candle into the jar.
What You Say: "You are made in the image of God and God created you to share His story. When we let our light shine and treat others the way we want to be treated, we show them who Jesus is. Imagine you won a trip to Disney World®. You would be so excited that you would tell all your friends. We should be that excited to show Jesus' love to others. Jesus has done so much for us. He made a way for us to be with God, now and forever. That is really cool! We can share His story with our words and our actions. Every time we let our light shine and treat others the way we want to be treated we share God's story with the world."
What You Need: "Spinner Template" (Download Template Here.), markers, scissors, pennies and Bibles
Optional: stickers and a paper plate to elevate spinner
What You Do: Look up Psalm 145:3 and read it together.
- Give each family member a paper plate and a "Spinner Template."
- Guide everyone to trace the "Spinner Template" on their paper plate and cut out the circle.
- Help kids fold the disc in half and cut a quarter-inch slit in the center.
- Tell kids to write the memory verse on the cut-out circle and decorate it with several different colors and the stickers (if provided).
- When finished, help kids put a penny in the slit in the center. It may take a bit of wiggling to secure the penny in the slit.
- On a hard surface, like a table or non-carpeted floor, challenge kids to spin the disc by spinning the penny.
- Challenge kids to say the entire verse before their "Verse Spinner" stops moving.
What You Say: "Such creative Verse Spinners! You did a great job memorizing our verse this month! Let's say Psalm 145:3 together. 'Lord, you are great. You are really worthy of praise. No one can completely understand how great you are.' (NIrV) God IS great! And we should share His greatness with others. God created you to share His story, and share who He is." (Make It Personal - Share with the group who first told you about God's story. Maybe it was your parents when they taught you how to pray. Or your grandparents would read the Bible to you when you visited. Maybe a friend invited you to church.)